In written sources Raktė Castle and Žagarė was first mentioned in 1198. This castle was one of the most important castles of the Semigallian tribe. Žagarė is mentioned again in 1473. 16th century in the writings Žagarė is called a city in the 1613 was established first school. At the 1633 New Žagarė were build Renaissance style St. Petro and Povilo church. Due to the favorable geographical position (the road to Riga passed through Žagarė). In the 17th century on the right shore of Švete starts grow a now city called New Žagarė and quickly overtakes Old Žagare.
In the 18th century Žagarė becomes very important selling center in the northern Lithuania. In the fairs were comming merchants from Russia, Germany, even England. There were several churches, prayer houses and schools, because there were people of different nationalities – Lithuanians, Latvians, Germans, Jews, Russians There were selling and buying land products, salt, leather, iron. In the 19th century in the city were working lots of iron manufactories, button, rope shops, canvas bleaching, woolen and candle factories, wineries and breweries and lots of artisans. Resident livers was increasing: in the 1861 – 4185 people, 1914 – 14000. At the end of first world war role of Žagare decreased when the railroad Šiauliai – Riga was extended through Joniškis. At the 1923 in Žagare were only 4730 people.
History of Žagarė continues today, you must visit in Lithuania – Žagarė.